Sunday, February 1, 2009

Aaahh..! Ka Mate...!

Just finish watching “Samoan Wedding” on star world just now. Wow, let me tell yah. It was fun and rather interesting. Basically it’s a story of 4 closely knit friends who are banned to attend to their best friend‘s wedding. The back drop of this movie is in the present time of New Zealand. It showed how the young Samoans as youth of their nation coping with globalization. As the story goes, situation tested their friendship, multiple personalities of friends in the same group, innocent getting into unwanted troubles and tongue tight declaring ones love. Cool names adding to it such as Sefa, Seino and Princess and such. Stanley and Jane just kill it on the dance floor.

But aside of that, this movie is indirectly promoting their own culture. That’s how I see it. Yes it is in English language. But still we see the guys in slack skirt with blazer, a man with grass skirt dancing their ritual native Maori dance in the middle of the wedding. It’s simply spellbinding. Imagine they embrace the 20th century and still close with their roots. You are who your are. So you better REPRESENT.! I’m saying this cause there are many people out there that are ashamed of their race and culture.. Why is that so..? Are you better off than your own people..? If you are, be a role model. Don’t avoid accepting who you are. Yes we all evolve as time goes by.

Was always a fan of the down under clan. Fiji, Aussie and New Zealand.. Tough nation of rugby. Here ill put down the haka chants and what they meant:


Leader:
Ringa pakia! (Slap the hands against the thighs!)
Uma tiraha! (Puff out the chest!)
Turi whatia! (Bend the knees!)
Hope whai ake! (Let the hip flow)
Waewae takahia kia kino! (Stamp the feet as hard as you can!)
Ka mate, ka mate (I die, I die)
Team:
Ka ora’ Ka ora’ (I live, I live)
Leader:
Ka mate, ka mate (I die, I die)
Team:
Ka ora’ Ka ora’ (I live, I live)
All Together:
tenei te tangata puhuruhuru (this is the hairy man)
Nana I tiki mai whakawhiti tere (who caused the sun to shine again for me)
Upane… upane (up the ladder, up the ladder)
Upane kaupane (up to the top)
Whiti te ra (the sun shines!)
Heeeee!
(with intimidation tongue action)

Well that’s about it. Rise of the samoan. Heres a video just for laugh. Not to be taken seriously. And im not promoting beer. Just that I had a laugh watching it. And would want to share with you blog surfer out there. No disrespect of any one… Enjoy..!


No comments: