Monday, June 28, 2010

My yearly retreat (Urbanscape 2010 baby…!)

Phewww….. Just got myself back from Urbanscape. Came back sticky and smelly after a whole day outing under the hot burning sun. Still remember nadya told us last 2 years ‘abg jaa panas sangat nieh. Habyeh nadya dah cair dah’ hahahhaaaa….. As usual this yearly event was held at the famous KLPAC (Kuala Lumpur Performing Arts Center). Off Jalan Ipoh and along Jalan Starchan. But this time around I got the privilege to go with my darling girlfriend. Fizah was really sporting wanting to go to the event with me. Thank you for coming dearest.

In the magazine, they said they gonna reserving ample parking space this year. Yet I still ended up have to park my car in the muddy area. Bhahahhahaa….. as we came in, the ‘project angkat rumah’ kampong house was just landed and the volunteer were taking a break under the house. It’s a great concept to think about it. But kinda kesian to them as they have to work in the sizzling weather. Went around the market place after we get our wrist tag done. Forget about our strategy in the previous years where we go chill off in the theater first before we start to begin our quest in this urban escape.. But then again if we didn’t check it out first, all the performance was going to be starting soon. So we simply carry on and went with the plan.

Caught up with Rania, Iz , JJ and Ben (the fed ex team). They were there since 12. good job in increasing your heart rate and sweating a puddle of water. Hueee….. They didn’t get the tag yet so I directed them to the counter. Immediately went to pentas 1. just to take a lil breather. Figure of speech wasn’t on yet. So after planning our route and cool it of a lil, we went to the sunset disco to check out Azmyl Yunor. Not bad at all. I could see he is the busking type of people. Went to Wondermilk stall to get some grub. Met up with Ena from team WM. Their sandwiches are selling like hot cakes. Took me awhile, but as you know their food are worth waiting for.

As I was waiting, I hear this familiar voice. From a man standing facing his back towards me. I was hesitated to jump into conclusion, but after awhile there he was. Its Jake Goh..! A businessman who use to train under me for his sailing training. He was there with his wife. Catch up with him after all this while. Wow never thought I would be able to see any of my clients here. That’s where I was wrong. There were many to come.


Went up to go catch Figure of Speech. Never heard of him sing before, but have seen the album somewhere. He would be considered a rapper with purpose. His type of lyric would make you think bout the situations in life. The song ‘god as a weapon’ or ‘the last winter’ would catch any ones attention about the things the society overall view or generalization towards Islam and multi billion gas cooperation . and to think bout it, he is Japanese or Chinese. Even non muslim could see the real picture. Match up with the hypnotic voice of Zalila Lee. Mannn, that girl got mad skills. Reza Salleh was there too but didn’t perform.

Catch up with Tilu at the main stage. The lead singer amira (which look like fizah friend mira) was wearing this cool t shirt. It says “We need artist, not Celebrities”. Got that rite…! Their song was cool and wicked. Accompany with 3 types of horns. The trumpet, a saxophone and a lil piece which looks like a French horn. They were blowing them while dancing. They really had fun up there. I was laughing my head up. Cuz they look funny and silly. They were like backup dancer. But still entertaining. After getting us some t-shirt from flying mouse (that was a drag) we then checkout Diandra Arjunaidi for a while before a short break. We stall a lil while buying the t-shirt. basically my fault. 1st of all, the design of the t-shirt was so wickedly awesome. So kinda rambang mata kejap larr… ps: but nny, the panther leaf tuh lawa larr….

Second round kicks in. as waiting for a friend to perform, manage to catch Liyana Fizi perform. Why does that name sound so familiar..? towards the end of the piece, they perform ‘Stay’. I was like ‘owwhh, bukan estrella ker….’ But still can’t figure out why didn’t they use the name estrella. Aina told me just now that estrella is no longer a team. The broke off as a band or something. Owhhh… now I get it. Caught up with aunty anum had a lil chat with her. Was asking when is Alis gonna release her album. Somewhere nearby. Davi tembak myself tru sms. She was around. Felt like I’m working as I got the chance to meet up a lot of my client. Ain’t complaining, to me they are more like friends to me.

After the Yuna set, manage to catch up with Sharon and Lokman. They were about to leave. The only reason they were there because of her.. such a phenomenon if you ask me. Malaysia is never lack of indie talents. Just that most of us are so close hearted to give the local acts a chance. Yet we still rather pay so much of overseas artist to perform here. How about our way of thinking and culture.? Thru this people could we spread our existence and footprint. Remember Zee Avi song ‘kantoi’..? people been googleing that particular word for a number of time. Could you imagine that..?

Caught up with Oddicon on my way to the market place. He was selling some ‘drinks’ and stuff over there (his specialty). Glad to see so many familiar faces man. Hang out with rania and the crew. Took some pictures and sit down on the pathway of that old skool wall. As night falls, we took cover indoors till the next show. Manage to catch Sphere and Robot Asmara at the main stage. While was watching, manage to catch with Chili (ex Selangor bowler) and also Ezan and bf (fellow model) over there. What a great place to be meeting all this people. Best thing bout it was all those people kept on asking me what’s next in line.

Yeah I’ve been doing some research on the Urbanscape (yeah, I semangat terlebyeh…!). So that I know where to go and how’s the flow gonna be. Last year around a telco company was sponsoring the event. We were provided maps and timing of the stage show and such. This time around people are kinda lost. So most of the people that met up with me been asking who’s next and where. This would be my 4th Urbanscape. Should know and be well prepared.

After the Vandal set in Pentas 2, went out and heading. Manage to drop by wondermilk to see how they doing. Ifzan wm just came in, so he look kinda fresh. Ena was flat out. Dehydrations I guess. Pity her. Help her out then head home.

I reminisce the first urbanscape in the open area of kl sentra in 2004l. The only time I came out from the urbanscape late at night. Woaw… that’s was a while. Cant wait till next year. I’m so gonna be there mann... Are you..? support your music and art talents. Viva urbanscape…!



stuff that i got over there... hueee....

3 comments:

baroquepoet said...

I agree with you there. I can't understand why people would not support the local acts. Though sometimes I also feel that the local acts need to learn to let themselves go and be who they are. Not follow what other people want them to be but to be more individualistic and believe in themselves and trust in being different. ;)

fizah said...

i'm now a supporter of local acts yeay!hehe..suke time tilu perform tu..i told mir bout it gk..thanx fo bringin me there..bley je gi again next yr but minus de hot sun part la..n u look gud in green=)(haha i'm not de only one yg lmbt pick up de pic on ur shirt tu=p)

simply j@a said...

sharon- yeah girl, they should b them self n proud of it. Then u will built ur own type of fans n followers. Why bother what ppl n society might say..

fizah-glad to hav ur around nny. Yeah2, love the fitting of the tshirt. Tapi rambang mata kowt tgk design2 tuh. Nk je beli semua.hueee. Thanks fo tagging along..!